Have you ever asked anyone for help? Has anyone ever asked you for help? If you are the asking person, what has the reaction been from others? If you are the asker, what kind of response do others give you?
If someone asks you for help do you:
- Jump right in and say, “What can I do?”
- Roll your eyes and wonder why are they asking me (or secretly trying to hide so you don’t get asked because you can’t say no)?
- Tell a little white lie and make an excuse why you can’t help?
Whether you are in the workplace, home or even an event in which you are needed to volunteer, I feel your reaction says a lot about your personality type. There are many traits that you display on a daily basis that lets others know what type of personality you might have. Are you positive? Are you genuine? Are you helping for the right reasons, meaning you don’t expect anything in return.
When I am asked to help, if there is no reason I can’t do it, I help. Over the years I have learned that generally people don’t like to ask for help unless they really need it. I also have learned that you never know when you may need help of your own. So if you do things for the right reasons, good things will come back full circle.
So the next time someone asks you for help, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is there any reason I cannot physically (or time constraint) do what is asked of me?
- Would the person ask me for help if they didn’t really need it?
- Is what is being asked of me a reasonable request?
If you answered yes to any or all of them, HELP is what you are ready to do. Help someone today. Pay good fortune forward because you never know when you will need some help of your own.
Be Happy! Be Healthy! And HELP others!