I’m sure you’ve all heard the phrase “If it’s too loud, you’re too old”. While I do enjoy cranking the tunes, I recently found louder is not necessarily better. Last week I was at the LIW trade show in Birmingham, England. Now if any of you have ever been to a trade show, you know they can be loud. But a fitness trade show takes it to a new level. You have booth after booth turning up their music louder and louder during the exercise demonstration times.
So, I got to thinking. Will louder music make me want to join a class and try a workout. At first, the music will catch my attention, but then, if the instructor isn’t good and the workout seems silly, I won’t stick around. A good class can have good music, but the instructor and the exercises make the class GREAT. If you are new to a gym try these few pointers before joining a class
- Peek in the room and see if people are having fun
- Check out the instructor and make sure he or she is having fun
- Make sure the class length suits you
- If you feel like you will be too uncoordinated, talk to the instructor before joining
- And if the music moves you – GO FOR IT!
While I may be getting older, I still like my music loud, just don’t turn yours up to make it louder than mine!
Stay happy, healthy and as always, keep moving!